Buckle in and get ready for a history lesson! In Episode 3, I take you through the histories of the sport of basketball and the Baha’i Faith world religion, focusing on 5 historical moments.
5 Historical Moments in Basketball and the Baha’i Faith
1) 1861 – James Naismith is born and Baha’u’llah pens the Kitab-i-Iqan (Book of Certitude)
2) 1893 – Basketball’s first international matches and the Baha’i Faith is first publicly mentioned in the United States
3) 1936/1937 – Basketball is first played as an Olympic medal sport and the Baha’i Faith has it’s first systematic teaching plan, the “7 Year Plan”
4) 1946 – Formation of the National Basketball Association and the Baha’i Faith has it’s second “7 Year Pan”
5) 1963 – Michael Jordan is born and the supreme governing body of the Baha’i Faith, the Universal House of Justice, is first elected.
Bonus) 1996 – Formation of the Woman’s National Basketball Association and the start of the “4 Year Plan” of the Baha’i Faith, one in a series of plans spanning 25 years, through 2021.
Action Step: What are some of your biggest passions in life (sports, arts, hobbies, subjects, work, spiritual, religious)? Go do some research on those passions and learn about the historical narrative of each. Appreciate how far they’ve come and who has contributed to their development. Look for the parallels and connections between your various passions. And then share with me (and others) what you learn!
The Baha’i Faith
The Divine Plan of the Baha’i Faith
The Universal House of Justice
History of Basketball
Don’t miss out!
⬇️ Enter your info below for email updates on future episodes ⬇️
Thanks so much for listening! Please take a moment to leave a comment below and let me know what you thought of Episode 3!